About the Opera Academy
Career Development Programme
The Queen Sonja Singing Competition has initiated a new career development programme aimed at singing students in Norway. The programme includes modules that prepare students to meet and master key requirements and expectations from the opera industry. The programme includes modules that are not a part of institutional music education.
The programme is developed in a collaboration between the Queen Sonja Singing Competition, the Norwegian Academy of Music, and Oslo National Academy of the Arts (The Academy of Opera). The first programme session started in the fall of 2023, with duration through spring 2024.
Photo: Marius Nyheim Kristoffersen
Modules and Content
Participants are invited to partake in modules with physical sessions for master classes and lectures in Oslo, in addition to digital sessions with personal follow-up.
The programme is led by renowned national and international educators with extensive experience from Norwegian and international opera houses. The themes include:
- How to build a sustainable opera career?
- Coping under pressure: auditions and competitions
- Mental health and resilience
- Artistic communication through digital media
- New scenic demands and expectations from the opera industry
- Values for communication in building your own brand
- Coaching classes with natinoal and international educators
How many singers are in the programme?
The programme is designed for five singers who are offered guidance and instruction throughout the 2023/2024 season. The upper age limit is 25 years.